Sunday, October 8, 2017

Pumpkin Patch Palooza

 Every year Irvine Park puts on the Pumpkin Patch Palooza and the Girl Scouts host an event there.  It was supposed to be held last Sunday afternoon, but Irvine Park was being used as the staging area for the Corona fires so it was rescheduled for this morning.  Kyleigh was supposed to be at her dad's today, but she begged to be allowed to go and Daddy and Nonnie agreed if Janice would pick her up (at 7:00 a.m.)

They each got a free pumpkin, a hayride and lunch.  They visited the haunted house, did some crafts and got a patch to be sewn on the back of their vests.

Happy Dance - Backpack Patch - Rainbow

Started: 10/5/2017
Finished: 10/7/2017

This came from the Crazy Kids section of Cross Stitch Crazy #233 and was designed by Durene Jones.  It was meant to be stitched on 14-count Aida and is supposed to have a satin stitched edge with part of the fabric showing.  Since it's supposed to go on a backpack, I stitched it on 14-count plastic canvas and Janice will sew it onto Kyleigh's backpack using the colors around the edges.

There are two more designs (sun and unicorn) in this section, but Kyleigh only wanted this one.  
I know it seems like I've been doing a lot of stitching for her lately, but she really appreciates my stitching so that makes it worthwhile.

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Happy Dance - Patchwork Alphabet - Letter K (again)

Started: 10/3/2017
Finished: 10/5/20117

Since Kyleigh didn't want the backstitching done on the K stitched on her duckling, I decided to stitch another K with the backstitching.  This time, I used the chart for the letter Z because it was easy to translate.  This is from the Patchwork Alphabet in Cross Stitch Crazy 225.

This one will go on Kyleigh's quilt which is still in progress, but I do hope to finish all the squares by Christmas.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Happy Dance - Christmas Tree and Present

 Started: 9/23/2017
Finished: 9/24/2017
Started: 9/28/2017
Finished: 10/3/2017

These cards were the free cover kit from an older Cross Stitch Crazy magazine.  They're stitched and finished using the materials in the kit.  The kit claimed to contain plastic canvas, but actually included vinyl instead.  The only changes made were to leave off the Smyrna Crosses on each of the baubles on both designs.

They will go on my daughter's table at the Christmas Boutique next month and if not sold, will be sent to WOCS.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Happy Dance - Patchwork Alphabet - Letter K

 Started: 9/25/2017
Finished 9/27/2017

I don't remember when I bought it or if Kyleigh was with me, but I've had this duckling in my stash for quite a while.  Kyleigh has been waiting patiently for me to stitch something on the bib ever since she found it in my stash.  She finally got tired of waiting and decided to take it home with her.  I decided it was time to stitch  something when I rescued it from on top of her suitcase.
After looking through my UK magazines, I settled on this letter K.  It comes from Cross Stitch Crazy #225 and was part of the patchwork alphabet.  It called for backstitching, but Kyleigh was in a hurry to get it and decided it didn't need the backstitching.  I think she likes it!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Happy Dance - Wanda's Hat

Started: 9/21/2017
Finished: 9/22/2017

This is Wanda's Hat from the Mill Hill Autumn Harvest Collection.  It's stitched as called for with the materials in the kit, except that again, I used two strands of floss for the cross stitch instead of the three called for.

It's not a very good scan and looks much better in person.

I had planned on doing a bunch of Halloween ornaments and mounting them to my kitchen window, because they wouldn't be seen from inside the kitchen.  Unfortunately, I've realized that this won't work because I'd have to mount them on the outside of the window which would most likely lead to disappearing ornaments.  So it's back to the drawing board.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Two More Finishes

I'm continuing to alternate Mill Hill kits with the free cover kits from some UK magazines.  Once I put Santa's Secret aside earlier this week, I picked up Buttercup Kitty by Mill Hill which had already been started.

Buttercup Kitty
Finished: 9/18/2017

This was stitched with the materials in the kit, although I did use two strands for the cross stitching instead of three.  I also used beads for the eyes instead of french knots and I just noticed that she's  missing her whiskers.

I let my granddaughter go through my stash of Mill Hill ornaments and pick one for me to stitch her.  She chose this one and once I find out if she wants a pin, a magnet or an ornament, I'll FFO it and give it to her.

This kit is from 1995 and it's amazing how much the instructions have changed.  Also, all of the beads were done with a half cross stitch, even the petite ones, and there is no treasure.

Once this was completed, I picked out a cover kit to work on.  
Happy Birthday Hedgehog
Started: 9/19/2017
Finished 9/21/2017

This is the free cover kit that came with World of Cross Stitching #258 and I knew immediately that I wanted to stitch it.  It's stitched as charted with the materials in the kit. 

It will be FFO'd and put in my box of unknown purpose.  My daughter is doing a craft boutique in early November and I'm planning to place all of the items still in the box in a basket on her table to see if anyone will buy them.

Next up - Wanda's Hat from Mill Hill